Monday, May 30, 2005

Where is "Toke"?

土気 / Toke [pronunciation = "t" + "okay" ] is part of the Midori Ward of Chiba City, which is the capital city of Chiba Prefecture, Japan. And actually, I live in Toke's neighboring municipality, Asumigaoka [pronounced "a soo me gah oh ka"], but I'm 30 seconds' walk from Toke. As far as I have been able to find out, Toke is the older of the two, and Asumigaoka started as something of an extension. But now they are two different municipalities. I live in one and work in the other. Not to worry, though: my commute is merely just a five minutes' walk.

So to add to the confusion in detail, let it be known that I will use Toke and Asumigaoka in my posts, but for the most part you may think of them interchangeably, unless you really are a stickler for geography (I know I am), in which case you'll just have to wait until I find a good map and figure out a way to post it.

For now, though, some URL's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiba%2C_Japan
http://www.city.chiba.jp/english/data/index.html



This map shows ticket prices from Toke Station.

No comments: