Friday, June 24, 2005

Idioms

Today being the first day that's muggy enough to turn on the fan, we've been having quite the conversation here in the English department while enjoying the breeze. Amongst several interesting tidbits I'll share just a few that I wrote down (the rest simply got lost in my terrible memory, but anyway, here goes):

The Japanese have a nifty expression when speaking self-deprecatingly about their garden:



うちの庭は、猫の額ほどのひろさです。

Uchi no niwa wa, neko no hitai hodo no hirosa desu.

"My garden is as small as a cat's forehead."


Another interesting expression is used when Japanese wish to comment unfavorably on the small quantity or size of something. For example,


私の給料は、雀の涙です。

Watashi no kyuuryou wa, suzume no namida desu.

"My paycheck is as small as a sparrow's tears."


Lastly, though this one isn't an idiom like the two above, it's still relevant because I wouldn't have heard it were it not so hot out today.



暑いな畜生!!!

Atsuina chikushou!!!

"this weather's for the beasts!" Or possibly, "Damn, it's beastly hot out!"


I'm told not to use this last one in formal, polite, or any but the most casual of situations.

No comments: